High Performance Compact Power Analyzers
The PPA500 joins Newtons4th’s Precision Power Analyzer range addressing a need for high performance power analyzer at low cost. Primarily aimed toward applications that require precision measurement without complex features, the PPA500 series is ideally suited to an education, production or test environment. The unit benefits from a full color TFT display that provides greater flexibility than fixed numeric displays and combines a level of performance, ease of use and value beyond any comparable product.
Sharing many of the techniques utilised in the PPA1500 series, the PPA500 achieves a level of performance previously available only in much more costly instruments, while maintaining the intuitive operation and clarity of measurement presentation for which the PPA series has become renowned. While being only half rack width and 2U high, the PPA500 is available in 1, 2 or 3 phase configurations. There is also the option to install the unit in a 19in rack where two units can be positioned side by side to provide a 2U 6 Phase solution see our accessories page for more details.
As a result of innovative design, the PPA500 compact power analyzer is able to deliver high performance at low cost. Features such as the planar shunt (A shunt design topology developed by N4L) and FPGA based real time no gap analysis technique all contribute to the PPA500’s fantastic offering. The low cost of the PPA500 Power Analyzer presents a great opportunity to system integrators looking for accurate, traceable, reliable power analysis.
ISO17025 Calibration and Verification
Every PPA500 Power Analyzer supplied by N4L is provided with both a UKAS Accredited calibration certificate up to 850Hz, as well as a UKAS Traceable calibration certificate up to 500kHz. N4L have developed a number of bespoke power calibrators in order to verify the accuracy of every power analyzer supplied over its entire frequency range, this is surprisingly uncommon within the instrumentation industry. Furthermore, development of an (UKAS) accredited Closed Loop Calorimeter in partnership with Oxford University (UK) has verified the performance of the N4L custom designed power calibration rigs with a very low uncertainty level, providing absolute confidence that the wide band performance of all N4L power analyzers is market leading.
|1. Standard Recalibration – Included with new instruments – Included with RMA Calibration|
Wideband calibration (DC-2MHz) with optimisation of measurements on all ranges over the complete instrument bandwidth. Traceable to UKAS but not ‘accredited’.
|4. UKAS IEC61000 H+F Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited calibration of PPA55x1 series units that includes all prevailing type test protocols for fully compliant Harmonic and Flicker testing.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration.
|2. UKAS (ISO17025) Calibration – Included with new instruments – Optional with RMA Calibration|
UKAS Accredited calibration of Voltage, Current, Phase (PF) and Power on all ranges from 55-850Hz.
In addition to the calibration certificates, the PPA will be fitted with a UKAS calibration label. This option can only be specified in addition to option 1.
|5. PPA55xx-TE Calibration – Included with PPA-TE order – Optional with RMA Calibration
UKAS calibration that includes a series of low power factor tests down to 0.01 PF over the frequency range of 16-450Hz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
|3. System Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration|
UKAS accredited calibration of a PPA together with an external sensor.
This option is separate to option 1 & 2 which must both be specified in addition when system calibration is required.
Note: This is end-to-end calibration of the of the PPA+sensor ‘system’ at nine N4L defined test points. (3 current levels @ 3 different frequencies)
|6. UKAS calorimeter power calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited power calibration via calorimetry. Available at customer requested frequency(s) and with sinusoidal or harmonically distorted wave shapes within a frequency range of 45Hz to 2MHz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
Features & Benefits
|0.05% Basic accuracy (Traceable to ISO17025)||Frequency range DC and 10mHz to 500kHz|
|High precision internal shunts Superior accuracy to any external shunt||10 milli degree phase accuracy – Necessary for low power factor applications|
|20 Arms (300 Apk) & 1000 Vrms (2500 Vpk) direct input||Unique x10 gain mode for Standby Power measurement|
|High speed sampling on all channels||True real time analysis with no measurement gap|
|1, 2 or 3 phase versions||High contrast full colour graphic display|
|Simple BNC connection of N4L shunts for high current applications||RS232, USB, LAN, Extension and Auxiliary ports|
|PPA5_1500_Datasheet_ PDF, 1Mb||PPA5xx_15xx User Manual v4 PDF, 661kb|
|PPA500_1500 Dimensions PDF, 76kb||PPA5xx_15xx Comms Manual v4 PDF, 861kbk|
|PPA5xx PPA15xx Rack Dimensions PDF, 65kb||PPA5xx_15xx-Start-up-guide-v4 PDF, 3.1Mb|
|PPA Datalogger User Manual PDF, 3.31Mb||Power_Analyzer_Product_Selector PDF, 236kb|
|Precision Power Analyzer design Philosophies PDF, 3.12Mb||PPA Series Calibration Guide|
PPA500 Power Analyzer Options, Software and Accessories
- Standard: USB, RS232 and LAN Communication Ports
- Optional: GPIB Communication Port
|Probes and Probe Accessory Options:|
- ULCP Ultra Low Capacitance Probes (Active, For use with DUT’s susceptible to capacitive loading) – 1.5pF, 1000Vrms, dc to 2MHz, 1000:1
- TT-HV 250 High Voltage Probe (Passive) – 2.5kVpk, 100:1
- TT-HVP 15HF High Voltage Probe – 15kVpk, 1000:1
- ATT10 – 10:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
- ATT20 – 20:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
|Extension Port and Accessory Options:|
- PCIS – Phase controlled inrush for (Use when control of DUT source with respect to phase angle is required)
|Leads, Connection and Interface Options:|
- 20A Connection lead set for one phase (supplied as standard) – 20Arated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- 36A Connection lead set for one phase – 36A rated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- Voltage Breakout Lead set – 3 x 2m BNC to BNC with 4mm Banana Voltage break out leads + 2 x voltage low shorting leads (For use when distance between analyser and DUT is large and HF series external shunt is being used, facilitates short voltage connections.
- Universal Breakout Box – Single Phase 10Arms Universal Breakout box
- RS232 Cable (Supplied as Standard) – 9 Pin null modem cable
- USB Cable (Supplied as standard) – 2m long A Male to B Male USB Cable
- PPA5/15xx Soft Carry Case – Black Nylon Padded Case with accessory space, handle and strap
- PPA5/15xx Hard Carry Case – PPA5/15xx Hard Aluminium Flight Case with accessory space, handle and lock (Ideal for Aircraft Hold)
|Rack Mounting Kit Options:|
- PPA5/15xx Rack Mounting Kit (Specify Double, Left, Centre or Right configuration) – 19″ Rack Mount Kit for PPA5/15xx
|Calibration and Documentation (Unit supplied with UKAS ISO17025 certificate as standard when new):|
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Single Phase PPA (PPA510)
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Two and Three Phase PPA (PPA520 & PPA530)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Single Phase PPA (PPA510)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Single Phase PPA (PPA520 & PPA530)
- PPA5xx Loan Instrument available upon request during Calibration or Repair (Available in Europe only)
- Spare set of user manuals – Hard copy of user and communications manual
|Current Measurement Options:|
- N4L HF Series Current Shunts – 1Arms ~ 500Arms Rated, DC ~ 1MHz Resistive Shunt.
- N4L WR Series Rogowski Current Transducers – 1A ~ 10000A rated, 1Hz to 1MHz Rogowski Coil
- Zero Flux Current Transducer (Current Output) – 600A rated, DC ~ 250kHz
- AC+DC Hall Effect Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
- AC Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
|PC Software (Free of charge):|