High Accuracy Power Analyzer for a wide range of Applications
The PPA4500 features high speed FPGA/DSP sampling techniques and N4L’s highly respected “Planar Shunt” Technology, the PPA4500 is the result of over 12 years of development. The PPA4500 replaces the outgoing PPA2500 and PPA2600 models, with improved accuracy, colour TFT, front USB port and faster processing. The PPA4500 is a significant leap forward in both accuracy and functionality. The PPA4500 is well suited to transformer loss testing, PWM inverter drive efficiency testing, standby power testing to IEC62301/EN50564 and many more challenging applications.
The PPA4500 exhibits the ability to measure fundamental frequencies up to 2MHz, as well as up to 100 Harmonics with the same 2MHz upper frequency limit. PWM Motor drive mode enables the engineer to rapidly setup the instrument to measure complex harmonically distorted waveforms, sophisticated signal processing algorithms facilitate high sample rate (2Ms/s) true wideband (2Mhz) analysis of PWM signals. The PPA4500 utilises parallel digital filtering for fundamental frequency synchronisation without affecting the bandwidth of the measured data.
ISO17025 Calibration and Verification
Every PPA4500 Power Analyzer supplied by N4L is provided with both a UKAS Accredited calibration certificate up to 850Hz, as well as a UKAS Traceable calibration certificate up to 1MHz. N4L have developed a number of bespoke power calibrators in order to verify the accuracy of every power analyzer supplied over its entire frequency range, this is surprisingly uncommon within the instrumentation industry. Furthermore, development of an ISO17025 (UKAS) accredited Closed Loop Calorimeter in partnership with Oxford University (UK) has verified the performance of the N4L custom designed power calibration rigs with a very low uncertainty level, providing absolute confidence that the wide band performance of all N4L power analyzers is market leading.
|1. Standard Recalibration – Included with new instruments – Included with RMA Calibration|
Wideband calibration (DC-2MHz) with optimisation of measurements on all ranges over the complete instrument bandwidth. Traceable to UKAS but not ‘accredited’.
|4. UKAS IEC61000 H+F Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited calibration of PPA55x1 series units that includes all prevailing type test protocols for fully compliant Harmonic and Flicker testing.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration.
|2. UKAS (ISO17025) Calibration – Included with new instruments – Optional with RMA Calibration|
UKAS Accredited calibration of Voltage, Current, Phase (PF) and Power on all ranges from 55-850Hz.
In addition to the calibration certificates, the PPA will be fitted with a UKAS calibration label. This option can only be specified in addition to option 1.
|5. PPA55xx-TE Calibration – Included with PPA-TE order – Optional with RMA Calibration
UKAS calibration that includes a series of low power factor tests down to 0.01 PF over the frequency range of 16-450Hz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
|3. System Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration|
UKAS accredited calibration of a PPA together with an external sensor.
This option is separate to option 1 & 2 which must both be specified in addition when system calibration is required.
Note: This is end-to-end calibration of the of the PPA+sensor ‘system’ at nine N4L defined test points. (3 current levels @ 3 different frequencies)
|6. UKAS calorimeter power calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited power calibration via calorimetry. Available at customer requested frequency(s) and with sinusoidal or harmonically distorted wave shapes within a frequency range of 45Hz to 2MHz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
Features & Benefits
|0.03% Basic accuracy||Frequency range DC and 10mHz to 2MHz|
|High precision internal shunts Superior accuracy to any external shunt||5 millidegree phase accuracy necessary for low power factor applications|
|Up to 50 Arms (1000 Apk) & 1000 Vrms (3000 Vpk) direct input||Low current (10Arms), Standard (30Arms) and High current (50Arms) options|
|High speed sampling on all channels (2Ms/s)||True real time analysis with no measurement gap|
|1, 2 or 3 phase versions master – slave mode for 4, 5 or 6 phase||Real time Digital, Tabular, Graphic and Oscilloscope displays|
|Simple BNC connection of N4L shunts for high current applications||RS232, IEEE 488, USB, LAN, Torque, Speed and Extension ports|
|PPA45_5500 Black Brochure PDF, 6Mb||PPA45xx User Manual v4 PDF, 2Mb|
|Precision Power Analyzer design Philosophies PDF, 3.12Mb||PPA45xx Comms Manual v4 PDF, 840kb|
|PPA4530 Rack Dimensions PDF, 225kb||PPA45 Start Up Manual v4 PDF, 3.1Mb|
|PPA Datalogger User Manual PDF, 3.31Mb||Power_Analyzer_Product_Selector PDF, 236kb|
|PPA45xx-Dimensions PDF, 85kb|
PPA4500 Options, Software and Accessories
- Standard: USB, LAN, RS232 Communication Ports
- Options: GPIB Communication Port
|Probes and Probe Accessory Options:|
- ULCP Ultra Low Capacitance Probes (Active, For use with DUT’s susceptible to capacitive loading) – 1.5pF, 1000Vrms, dc to 2MHz, 1000:1
- TT-HV 250 High Voltage Probe (Passive) – 2.5kVpk, 100:1
- TT-HVP 15HF High Voltage Probe – 15kVpk, 1000:1
- ATT10 – 10:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
- ATT20 – 20:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
|Extension Port and Accessory Options:|
- ADI40 40 Channel Analogue <> Digital IO Interface
- PCIS – Phase controlled inrush for (Use when control of DUT source with respect to phase angle is required)
|Leads, Connection and Interface Options:|
- 20A Connection lead set for one phase (supplied as standard) – 20Arated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- 36A Connection lead set for one phase – 36A rated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- Voltage Breakout Lead set – 3 x 2m BNC to BNC with 4mm Banana Voltage break out leads + 2 x voltage low shorting leads (For use when distance between analyser and DUT is large and HF series external shunt is being used, facilitates short voltage connections.
- Universal Breakout Box – Single Phase 10Arms Universal Breakout box
- RS232 Cable (Supplied as Standard) – 9 Pin null modem cable
- USB Cable (Supplied as standard) – 2m long A Male to B Male USB Cable
- PPA45/55xx Soft Carry Case – Black Nylon Padded Case with accessory space, handle and strap
- PPA45/55xx Hard Carry Case – PPA45/55xx Hard Aluminium Flight Case with accessory space, handle and lock (Ideal for Aircraft Hold)
|Rack Mounting Kit Options:|
- PPA45/55xx Rack Mounting Kit – 19″ Rack Mount Kit including brackets and fixing screws for PPA45/55xx
|Calibration and Documentation (Unit supplied with UKAS ISO17025 certificate as standard when new):|
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Single Phase PPA (PPA4510)
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Two and Three Phase PPA (PPA4520 & PPA4530)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Single Phase PPA (PPA4510)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Single Phase PPA (PPA4520 & PPA4530)
- PPA45xx Loan Instrument available upon request during Calibration or Repair (Available in Europe only)
- Spare set of user manuals – Hard copy of user and communications manual
|Current Measurement Options:|
- N4L HF Series Current Shunts – 1Arms ~ 500Arms Rated, DC ~ 1MHz Resistive Shunt.
- N4L WR Series Rogowski Current Transducers – 1A ~ 10000A rated, 1Hz to 1MHz Rogowski Coil
- Zero Flux Current Transducer (Current Output) – 600A rated, DC ~ 250kHz
- AC+DC Hall Effect Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
- AC Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
|PC Software (Free of charge):|
Application Notes and Related Articles
Tutorial 2 : PWM Motor Drive Efficiency Measurements
Tutorial 3 : Standby Power Measurement of a USB Mains Adaptor
Tutorial 4 : AC/DC Converter Efficiency Measurements
For application notes please see the app note section of our Knowledge Database
|Bandwidth||PPA4500(30Arms), PPA4500-LC(10Arms) DC, 10mHz ~ 2MHz
PPA4500-HC(50Arms) : DC, 10mHz ~ 1MHz
|Internal Ranges||Normal : 1Vpk ~ 3000Vpk (8 ranges = 1V, 3V, 10V, 30V, 100V, 300V, 1KV, 3KV)
(240Vrms within 300Vpk range, using 20% over range)
|Internal Voltage Input Impedance||3Mohm in parallel with 5pF, 90pF common mode to chassis|
|Internal Accuracy||Normal : 0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + (0.004%xkHz) + 5mV
|External Voltage BNC Input Ranges||1Vpk ~ 3Vpk [BNC Connector 3Vpk Max Input] 8 Ranges = 1mV, 3mV, 10mV, 30mV, 100mV, 300mV, 1V, 3V
|External Voltage Input Accuracy||0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + (0.004%xkHz) + 3uV|
|PPA4500-LC 10Arms Shunt, 4mm Safety Connectors||10mApk ~ 30Apk (10Arms) (8 ranges = 10mA, 30mA, 100mA, 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A)|
|PPA4500 30Arms Shunt, 4mm Safety Connectors||100mApk ~ 300Apk (30Arms) (8 ranges = 100mA, 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A, 100A, 300A)
|PPA4500-HC 50Arms Shunt, 50A Screw Type Safety Terminals||300mApk ~ 1000Apk (50Arms) (8 ranges = 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A, 100A, 300A, 1KA)
|Internal Shunt Accuracy||PPA4500-LC : 0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + 0.004%xkHz + 30uA
PPA4500 : 0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + 0.004%xkHz + 300uA
PPA4500-HC : 0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + 0.004%xkHz + 900uA
|External Current BNC Input Ranges||1Vpk ~ 3Vpk [BNC Connector 3Vpk Max Input] 8 Ranges = 1mV, 3mV, 10mV, 30mV, 100mV, 300mV, 1V, 3V|
|External Current Input Accuracy||0.03% Rdg + 0.04% Rng + (0.004%/kHz) + 3uV
|Degrees||PPA4500-LC(10Arms) / PPA4500(30Arms) : 0.005deg + (0.01deg/kHz)
PPA4500-HC(50Arms) : 0.01deg + (0.02deg/kHz)
|Normal||[0.04% + 0.05%/pf + (0.01%/kHz)/pf] Rdg + 0.04% VA Rng|
|40Hz ~ 850Hz||[0.03% + 0.04%/pf + (0.01%/kHz)/pf] Rdg + 0.03% VA Rng|
|Crest Factor||20 (Voltage and Current)
|Sample Rate||1Ms/s on all channels, real time No-Gap
|IEC Compliant Modes||IEC62301/EN50564 Standby Power Mode
|Application Modes||PWM Motor Drive, Transformer, Ballast, Inrush, Standby Power
|CMRR – Common Mode Rejection Ratio||250V @ 50Hz – ≥ 1mA (150dB) 100V @ 100kHz – ≥ 3mA (130dB)
|Measurement Parameters||W, VA, Var, pf, V & A – rms, rectified mean, AC, DC, peak, surge, crest factor, form factor, star to delta conversion, delta to star conversion|
|Frequency (Hz), Phase (deg), Fundamentals, Impedance|
|Harmonics, THD, TIF, THF, TRD, TDD|
|Integrated Values, Datalog, Sum and Neutral Values|
|Datalog||(Up to 4 user selectable measurement functions (60 with PC software)|
|Datalog window||No-Gap analysis, Minimum Window 10ms|
|Memory|| 16,000 records
|Communication Ports||Standard : RS232, USB, LAN, Extension (Aux)
Options :GPIB (Option G)
|Leads||Power, RS232, USB
|Connection Cables||36A 1.5m long 4mm stackable terminals. 1x red, 1x yellow, 2x black per phase (1x red, 1x black per phase with HC version)
|Connection Clips||4mm terminated alligator clips – 1x red, 1x yellow and 2x black per phase (1x red, 1x black per phase with HC version)
|Instruction manual||User manual, Communications manual
|Other documents||Calibration certificate, Quick start guide
|Mechanical and Environmental|
|Display||320×240 dot full colour TFT, White LED backlit
|Dimensions||130H x 400W x 315D mm excluding feet
|Weight||5.4kg (1 Phase), 6kg (3 Phase)
|Safety Isolation||1000Vrms or DC (CATII), 600Vrms or DC (CATIII)
|Power Supply||90 ~ 265Vrms, 50 ~ 60Hz, 40VA Max
|Operating Conditions||5 deg to 40 deg ambient temperature (or air intake temperature when rack mounted), 20-90% Non-condensing relative humidity|