High Performance Compact Power Analyzer
The PPA1500 Power Analyzer offers higher performance than its sibling – the PPA500 unit, the PPA1500 series ensures that N4L power analyzers provide the optimum solution in almost any power measurement application and budget. The main differences between the PPA500 and PPA1500 Power Analyzers are that the PPA1500 features a 1Mhz Bandwidth and full graphical display, this includes harmonic bar graphs and graphical data logging. The PPA1500 Power Analyzers now features sophisticated parallel digital filtering algorithms enabling the PPA1500 to be used in various Pulse Width Modulated applications. While being only half rack width and 2U high, the PPA1500 is available in 1, 2 or 3 phase configurations and offers a level of performance normally found only in larger and more costly instruments. With modes such as “Inrush Current and “Standby Power”, the PPA1500 provides fast, accurate and easy measurements in challenging environments.
The PPA1500 series analyzers now have a 6 Phase 2U Rack option in which two PPA1530 units are installed on the same rack side by side, see our accessories page for more details. For a practical insight into the versatility and speed of the PPA1500, please take a look at our Power Analyzer Tutorials.
ISO17025 Calibration and Verification
Every PPA1500 Power Analyzer supplied by N4L is provided with both a UKAS Accredited calibration certificate up to 850Hz, as well as a UKAS Traceable calibration certificate up to 1MHz. N4L have developed a number of bespoke power calibrators in order to verify the accuracy of every power analyzer supplied over its entire frequency range, this is surprisingly uncommon within the instrumentation industry. Furthermore, development of an ISO17025 (UKAS) accredited Closed Loop Calorimeter in partnership with Oxford University (UK) has verified the performance of the N4L custom designed power calibration rigs with a very low uncertainty level, providing absolute confidence that the wide band performance of all N4L power analyzers is market leading.
|1. Standard Recalibration – Included with new instruments – Included with RMA Calibration|
Wideband calibration (DC-2MHz) with optimisation of measurements on all ranges over the complete instrument bandwidth. Traceable to UKAS but not ‘accredited’.
|4. UKAS IEC61000 H+F Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited calibration of PPA55x1 series units that includes all prevailing type test protocols for fully compliant Harmonic and Flicker testing.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration.
|2. UKAS (ISO17025) Calibration – Included with new instruments – Optional with RMA Calibration|
UKAS Accredited calibration of Voltage, Current, Phase (PF) and Power on all ranges from 55-850Hz.
In addition to the calibration certificates, the PPA will be fitted with a UKAS calibration label. This option can only be specified in addition to option 1.
|5. PPA55xx-TE Calibration – Included with PPA-TE order – Optional with RMA Calibration
UKAS calibration that includes a series of low power factor tests down to 0.01 PF over the frequency range of 16-450Hz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
|3. System Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration|
UKAS accredited calibration of a PPA together with an external sensor.
This option is separate to option 1 & 2 which must both be specified in addition when system calibration is required.
Note: This is end-to-end calibration of the of the PPA+sensor ‘system’ at nine N4L defined test points. (3 current levels @ 3 different frequencies)
|6. UKAS calorimeter power calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited power calibration via calorimetry. Available at customer requested frequency(s) and with sinusoidal or harmonically distorted wave shapes within a frequency range of 45Hz to 2MHz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
Features & Benefits
|0.05% Basic accuracy||Frequency range DC and 10mHz to 1MHz|
|High precision internal shunts – Superior accuracy to any external shunt||10 millidegree phase accuracy – Necessary for low power factor applications|
|20 Arms (300 Apk) & 1000 Vrms (2500 Vpk) direct input||Unique x10 gain mode for Standby Power measurement|
|1MS/s High speed sampling on all channels||True real time analysis with no measurement gap|
|1, 2 or 3 phase versions||High contrast full colour graphic display|
|Simple BNC connection of N4L shunts for high current applications||RS232, USB, LAN, Extension and Auxiliary ports|
|PPA5_1500 Datasheet PDF, 1Mb||PPA5xx_15xx User Manual v4.0PDF, 661kb|
|PPA1530-Dimensions PDF, 76kb||PPA5xx_15xx Comms Manual v4.0 PDF, 861kb|
|PPA5xx PPA15xx Rack Dimensions PDF,65kb||PPA5xx_15xx-Start-up-guide-v4.00.pdf PDF, 3.1Mb|
|PPA Datalogger User Manual PDF, 3.31Mb||Power_Analyzer_Product_Selector PDF, 236kb|
|Precision Power Analyzer design Philosophies PDF, 3.1Mb||Calibration Guide|
PPA1500 Options, Software and Accessories
- Standard: LAN, USB and RS232 Communication Ports
- Optional: GPIB Communication Port
|Probes and Probe Accessory Options:|
- ULCP Ultra Low Capacitance Probes (Active, For use with DUT’s susceptible to capacitive loading) – 1.5pF, 1000Vrms, dc to 2MHz, 1000:1
- TT-HV 250 High Voltage Probe (Passive) – 2.5kVpk, 100:1
- TT-HVP 15HF High Voltage Probe – 15kVpk, 1000:1
- ATT10 – 10:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
- ATT20 – 20:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
|Extension Port and Accessory Options:|
- PCIS – Phase controlled inrush for (Use when control of DUT source with respect to phase angle is required)
|Leads, Connection and Interface Options:|
- 20A Connection lead set for one phase (supplied as standard) – 20Arated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- 36A Connection lead set for one phase – 36A rated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- Voltage Breakout Lead set – 3 x 2m BNC to BNC with 4mm Banana Voltage break out leads + 2 x voltage low shorting leads (For use when distance between analyser and DUT is large and HF series external shunt is being used, facilitates short voltage connections.
- Universal Breakout Box – Single Phase 10Arms Universal Breakout box
- RS232 Cable (Supplied as Standard) – 9 Pin null modem cable
- USB Cable (Supplied as standard) – 2m long A Male to B Male USB Cable
- PPA5/15xx Soft Carry Case – Black Nylon Padded Case with accessory space, handle and strap
- PPA5/15xx Hard Carry Case – PPA5/15xx Hard Aluminium Flight Case with accessory space, handle and lock (Ideal for Aircraft Hold)
|Rack Mounting Kit Options:|
- PPA5/15xx Rack Mounting Kit (Specify Double, Left, Centre or Right configuration) – 19″ Rack Mount Kit for PPA5/15xx
|Calibration and Documentation (Unit supplied with UKAS ISO17025 certificate as standard when new):|
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Single Phase PPA (PPA1510)
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – Two and Three Phase PPA (PPA1520 & PPA1530)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Single Phase PPA (PPA1510)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – Two and Three Phase PPA (PPA1520 & PPA1530)
- PPA15xx Loan Instrument available upon request during Calibration or Repair (Available in Europe only)
- Spare set of user manuals – Hard copy of user and communications manual
|Current Measurement Options:|
- N4L HF Series Current Shunts – 1Arms ~ 500Arms Rated, DC ~ 1MHz Resistive Shunt.
- N4L WR Series Rogowski Current Transducers – 1A ~ 10000A rated, 1Hz to 1MHz Rogowski Coil
- Zero Flux Current Transducer (Current Output) – 600A rated, DC ~ 250kHz
- AC+DC Hall Effect Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
- AC Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
|PC Software (Free of charge):|
Application Notes Related Articles
Tutorial 2 : PWM Motor Drive Efficiency Measurements
Tutorial 3 : Standby Power Measurement of a USB Mains Adaptor
Tutorial 4 : AC/DC Converter Efficiency Measurements
For application notes please see the app note section of our Knowledge Database
|Bandwidth||DC, 10mHz ~ 1MHz
x10 DC, 10mHz ~ 100kHz
|Internal Ranges||Normal : 1Vpk ~ 2500Vpk (8 ranges = 1V, 3V, 10V, 30V, 100V, 300V, 1KV, 3KV)
x10 100mVpk ~ 300Vpk (8 ranges = 100mV, 300mV, 1V, 3V, 10V, 30V, 100V, 300V)
|Internal Accuracy||Normal : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + (0.005%xkHz) + 5mV
x10 : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + (0.01%xkHz) + 1mV
|External Voltage BNC Input Ranges||1mVpk ~ 3Vpk [BNC Connector 3Vpk Max Input] 8 Ranges = 1mV, 3mV, 10mV, 30mV, 100mV, 300mV, 1V, 3V
|External Voltage Input Accuracy||0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + (0.005%xkHz) + 5uV|
|PPA1500 20Arms Shunt, 4mm Safety Connectors||Normal : 100mApk ~ 300Apk (20Arms) (8 ranges = 100mA, 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A, 100A, 300A)
x10 : 10mApk ~ 300Apk (8 ranges = 10mA, 30mA, 100mA, 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A)
|PPA1500-HC 30Arms Shunt, 4mm Safety Connectors||Normal : 300mApk ~ 1000Apk (30Arms) (8 ranges = 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A, 100A, 300A, 1KA)
x10 : 30mApk ~ 100Apk (8 ranges = 30mA, 100mA, 300mA, 1A, 3A, 10A, 30A, 100A)
|Internal Shunt Accuracy 20Arms||Normal : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + 0.005%xkHz) + 500uA
x10 : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + 0.01%xkHz) + 100uA
|Internal Shunt Accuracy HC 30Arms||Normal : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + 0.005%xkHz) + 1mA
x10 : 0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + 0.01%xkHz) + 300uA
|External Current BNC Input Ranges||1mVpk ~ 3Vpk 8 Ranges = 1mV, 3mV, 10mV, 30mV, 100mV, 300mV, 1V, 3V|
|External Current Input Accuracy||0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng + (0.005%/kHz) + 5uV|
|Normal||0.01deg + (0.01deg/kHz)
|x10||0.01deg + (0.02deg/kHz)|
|Normal||[0.1% + 0.1%/pf + (0.01%/kHz)/pf] Rdg + 0.1% VA Rng|
|x10||[0.1% + 0.1%/pf + (0.02%/kHz)/pf] Rdg + 0.1% VA Rng|
|40Hz ~ 850Hz||As above with range error reduced from +0.1% V,A,VA Rng to +0.05% V,A, VA Rng|
|Crest Factor||20 (Voltage and Current)
|Sample Rate||1Ms/s on all channels, real time No-Gap
|IEC Compliant Modes||IEC62301/EN50564 Standby Power Mode
|Application Modes||Ballast, Inrush, Standby Power
|CMRR – Common Mode Rejection Ratio||250V @ 50Hz – ≥ 1mA (150dB) 100V @ 100kHz – ≥ 3mA (130dB)
|Measurement Parameters||W, VA, Var, pf, V & A – rms, rectified mean, AC, DC, peak, surge, crest factor, form factor, star to delta conversion, delta to star conversion|
|Frequency (Hz), Phase (deg), Fundamentals, Impedance|
|Harmonics, THD, TIF, THF, TRD, TDD|
|Integrated Values, Datalog, Sum and Neutral Values|
|Datalog||(Up to 4 user selectable measurement functions (60 with PC software)|
|Datalog window||No-Gap analysis, Minimum Window 10ms|
|Memory||RAM up to 16,000 records|
|Communication Ports||RS232, LAN, (Option L), USB, Extension (Aux)
|Leads||Power, RS232, USB
|Connection Cables||20A (Std Version) or 30A (HC version) 1.5m long 4mm stackable terminals. 1x red, 1x yellow, 2x black per phase|
|Connection Clips||4mm terminated alligator clips – 1x red, 1x yellow and 2x black per phase
|Instruction manual||User manual, Communications manual
|Other documents||Calibration certificate, Quick start guide
|Mechanical and Environmental|
|Display||480×272 dot full colour TFT, White LED backlit|
|Dimensions||92H x 215W x 312D mm excluding feet|
|Weight||3.3kg (1 Phase), 4kg (3 Phase)|
|Safety Isolation||1000Vrms or DC (CATII), 600Vrms or DC (CATIII)|
|Power Supply||90 ~ 265Vrms, 50 ~ 60Hz, 40VA Max|
|Operating Conditions||5 deg to 40 deg ambient temperature (or air intake temperature when rack mounted), 20-90% Non-condensing relative humidity.|