High Performance 6 Phase Power Analysis
The PPA3500 is a high accuracy 3~6(7) phase power analyzer able to perform reliable, accurate power analysis in a variety of applications. As a result of innovative analogue card design, the PPA3500 is packaged in a compact 2U chassis. The PPA3500 is available in 3, 4, 5 or 6 phase configurations as well as a computed 7th phase. There is also the option to install the unit in a 19in rack providing a 2U 6(7) Phase solution, see our accessories page for more details. The PPA3500 power analyzer benefits from a full color “Dual” TFT display, this concept employs two TFT displays within one instrument, allowing for a large widescreen display area in a 2U form factor.
Why choose a Newtons4th Power Analyzer?
- Only Power Analyzer in market designed specifically for inverter drive applications
- Best Wideband Power Accuracy in class
- 1MHz Bandwidth
- Extremely high accuracy phase measurement of 0.01deg
- ISO17025 (UKAS) traceable certification supplied
- Low profile – 2U High, up to 6(7) Phase measurement
- Unrivaled product support
- PWM Motor drive mode for quick easy setup
All required inputs included as Standard
The PPA3500 includes all ports fitted as standard including Internal(4mm) and External(BNC), Torque, Speed, RS232, LAN, USB, GPIB.
- PWM Inverter Drive Efficiency Analysis
- Standby Power
- AC/DC Converters
- Solar Arrays
- Power Quality
- High Frequency Power Electronics
Featuring the industry renowned planar shunt technology (A shunt design topology developed by N4L) and FPGA based real time no gap analysis techniques, the PPA3500 is able to provide ground breaking 6(7) phase analysis performance. Real-Time no gap analysis ensures efficiency measurements are entirely synchronized between input and output.
All PPA3500 units are supplied with UKAS ISO17025 certification as standard, this is performed at N4L in the UK in our accredited ISO17025 Laboratory.
ISO17025 Calibration and Verification
Every PPA3500 Power Analyzer supplied by N4L is provided with both a UKAS Accredited calibration certificate up to 850Hz, as well as a UKAS Traceable calibration certificate up to 1MHz. N4L have developed a number of bespoke power calibrators in order to verify the accuracy of every power analyzer supplied over its entire frequency range, this is surprisingly uncommon within the instrumentation industry. Furthermore, development of an ISO17025 (UKAS) accredited Closed Loop Calorimeter in partnership with Oxford University (UK) has verified the performance of the N4L custom designed power calibration rigs with a very low uncertainty level, providing absolute confidence that the wide band performance of all N4L power analyzers is market leading.
|1. Standard Recalibration – Included with new instruments – Included with RMA Calibration|
Wideband calibration (DC-2MHz) with optimisation of measurements on all ranges over the complete instrument bandwidth. Traceable to UKAS but not ‘accredited’.
|4. UKAS IEC61000 H+F Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited calibration of PPA55x1 series units that includes all prevailing type test protocols for fully compliant Harmonic and Flicker testing.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration.
|2. UKAS (ISO17025) Calibration – Included with new instruments – Optional with RMA Calibration|
UKAS Accredited calibration of Voltage, Current, Phase (PF) and Power on all ranges from 55-850Hz.
In addition to the calibration certificates, the PPA will be fitted with a UKAS calibration label. This option can only be specified in addition to option 1.
|5. PPA55xx-TE Calibration – Included with PPA-TE order – Optional with RMA Calibration
UKAS calibration that includes a series of low power factor tests down to 0.01 PF over the frequency range of 16-450Hz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
|3. System Calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration|
UKAS accredited calibration of a PPA together with an external sensor.
This option is separate to option 1 & 2 which must both be specified in addition when system calibration is required.
Note: This is end-to-end calibration of the of the PPA+sensor ‘system’ at nine N4L defined test points. (3 current levels @ 3 different frequencies)
|6. UKAS calorimeter power calibration – Optional with new instruments or RMA calibration
UKAS accredited power calibration via calorimetry. Available at customer requested frequency(s) and with sinusoidal or harmonically distorted wave shapes within a frequency range of 45Hz to 2MHz.
This option can only be specified in addition to option 1 and option 2 calibration
Features & Benefits
|PPA3500 Power Analyzer Product Overview|
|Excellent Accuracy||0.03% Typical|
|2U Form Factor||The worlds only high accuracy 6 phase power analyzer in 2U form factor*|
|1MHz Bandwidth||Wide Bandwidth ideal for distorted signal analysis such as PWM Inverter drives|
|Intuitive User Interface||“Quick Keys” and alpha numerical keypad|
|Torque and Speed inputs fitted as standard||+/- 10V, Analogue DC and Pulsed Inputs|
|Total System Efficiency Calculation||Real time monitoring and efficiency calculation of Electrical to Electrical and Electrical to Mechanical|
|Ideal for Inverter Drive Analysis||Electric Vehicle, Variable Speed Drives, Industrial and other applications|
|8 Phase Analysis||Use 3P2W + CH3 + 3P2W + CH3 to measure 8 phases including 3 Phase Input Power, DC Bus and 3 Phase Output Power|
|DFT Based Power Calculation||Utilize the Power of DFT Fourier analysis, made possible using top of the range DSPs and FPGAs.|
|3 Phase Power Measurement with only 2 Watt-meters||Unique “3 Watt-meter conversion” mode provides independent phase power information when utilizing 3 Phase 2 watt-meter mode|
|PPA3500_Brochure PDF, 4.17Mb||PPA35xx User Manual_v4 4PDF, 661kb|
|PPA3500 Dimensions PDF, 76kb||PPA3500 Comms Manual v4 PDF, 650kb|
|PPA3500 Rack Dimensions PDF,65kb||Power_Analyzer_Product_Selector PDF, 236kb|
|PPA Datalogger User Manual PDF, 3.31Mb||PPA Datalogger Brochure PDF, 2Mb|
|Precision Power Analyzer design Philosophies PDF, 3.1Mb||PPA Series Calibration guide|
*According to N4L research, accuracy of 0.1% or better
PPA3500 Accessories and Options
- Standard: USB, LAN, RS232, & GPIB Communication Ports
|Probes and Probe Accessory Options:|
- ULCP Ultra Low Capacitance Probes (Active, For use with DUT’s susceptible to capacitive loading) – 1.5pF, 1000Vrms, dc to 2MHz, 1000:1
- TT-HV 250 High Voltage Probe (Passive) – 2.5kVpk, 100:1
- TT-HVP 15HF High Voltage Probe – 15kVpk, 1000:1
- ATT10 – 10:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
- ATT20 – 20:1 Attenuator (For use when voltage probe output does not meet PPA ext. input 3Vpk max rating) – For connection to PPA ext input and external attenuating probes.
|Extension Port and Accessory Options:|
- ADI40 40 Channel Analogue <> Digital IO Interface
- PCIS – Phase controlled inrush for (Use when control of DUT source with respect to phase angle is required)
|Leads, Connection and Interface Options:|
- 20A Connection lead set for one phase (supplied as standard) – 20Arated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- 36A Connection lead set for one phase – 36A rated, 1.5m long + Alligator Clips
- Voltage Breakout Lead set – 3 x 2m BNC to BNC with 4mm Banana Voltage break out leads + 2 x voltage low shorting leads (For use when distance between analyser and DUT is large and HF series external shunt is being used, facilitates short voltage connections.
- Universal Breakout Box – Single Phase 10Arms Universal Breakout box
- RS232 Cable (Supplied as Standard) – 9 Pin null modem cable
- USB Cable (Supplied as standard) – 2m long A Male to B Male USB Cable
- PPA3500 Soft Carry Case – Black Nylon Padded Case with accessory space, handle and strap
|Rack Mounting Kit Options:|
- PPA35xx Rack Mounting Kit – 19″ Rack Mount Kit including brackets and fixing screws for PPA35xx
|Calibration and Documentation (Unit supplied with UKAS ISO17025 certificate as standard when new):|
- Standard Recalibration (ISO17025 Traceable) – 1~6 Phase PPA (PPA3500)
- ISO17025 UKAS Calibration + Standard Calibration – 1~6 Phase PPA (PPA3500)
- PPA35xx Loan Instrument available upon request during Calibration or Repair (Available in Europe only)
- Spare set of user manuals – Hard copy of user and communications manual
|Current Measurement Options:|
- N4L HF Series Current Shunts – 1Arms ~ 500Arms Rated, DC ~ 1MHz Resistive Shunt.
- N4L WR Series Rogowski Current Transducers – 1A ~ 10000A rated, 1Hz to 1MHz Rogowski Coil
- Zero Flux Current Transducer (Current Output) – 600A rated, DC ~ 250kHz
- AC+DC Hall Effect Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
- AC Current Clamps – Various current ratings and bandwidths available
|PC Software (Free of charge):|
- PPALoG – Power Analysis Data Logging Software (Up to 64 Parameter simultaneous measurement, up to 12 Phases) (PPA Datalogger User Manual PDF, 3.31Mb)
- PPA Standby Power Software – IEC62301 & EN50564 Compliant (Standby Power User Manual PDF, 2Mb)
Application Notes and Related Articles
Tutorial 1 : Power Analyzer Turn on and External Shunt Configuration
Tutorial 2 : PWM Motor Drive Efficiency Measurements
Tutorial 2a : PWM Motor Driver Efficiency Measurements (Extended version)
Tutorial 3 : Standby Power Measurement of a USB Mains Adaptor
Tutorial 4 : AC/DC Converter Efficiency Measurements
For application notes please see the app note section of our Knowledge Database
|V, A error|
|Power error||0.1%rdg + 0.05rng|
|Internal||1 - 6|
|0 - 5A||DC - 1MHz|
|5A - 30A||DC - 1MHz|
|Max Input Voltage||3000Vpk|
|Number of Ranges||8 plus x10|
|Direct Current Input|
|Number of Ranges||8 plus x10|
|No Gap Analysis||Yes|
|Sample Rate||Nominal 1Ms/s auto anti-alias|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 10Hz||0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 45-66Hz||0.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 1kHz||0.055% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 10kHz||0.1% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 100kHz||0.55% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 500kHz||2.55% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Basic V and A Accuracy at 1MHz||5.05% Rdg + 0.1% Rng|
|Voltage Range||1Vpk to 2500Vpk (1000Vrms) in 8 ranges
x10 100mVpk - 100Vpk (8 ranges)
|Voltage Input via External Attenuator||1mVpk - 3Vpk in 8 ranges|
|Current Range ( Internal Shunt Version )||Normal 100mApk - 300Apk (20Arms) 8 ranges
x10 10mApk - 30Apk 8 ranges
|Current Input via External Shunt / sensor with voltage output||1mVpk - 3Vpk in 8 ranges|
|Auto over-range tolerance / hysteresis||20%|
|Crest Factor (V and A) at full scale||20|
|Basic Watts Accuracy at 45-66Hz||0.2% Rdg + 0.04% VA Rng|
|Integrator (Watt-Hrs, Avg Watts etc)||Standard|
|Oscilloscope Mode; |
Time axis zoom
|In-Rush current mode; peak max||Standard|
|Minimum Update Rate / Window Size||2ms|
|Internal Datalog||10M Records|
|Minimum Datalogging Rate |
USB Memory Stick
|IEC62301 Standby Power / Energy Star||Standard, Gap-Free|
|Cycle by Cycle Measurements||Standard|
|Star to Delta Conversion||Standard|
|Scope and Graph Modes||Standard|
|USB Memory Ports||Standard|
|Real Time Clock||Standard|
|19" Rack Mount Kit||Optional|
|Torque and Speed||Standard|
|PWM Motor Drive Mode||Standard|
|PWM Filter Options||7|
|Internal Datalogging||16 Parameters|
|Dimensions - Excl Feet|
H x W x D (mm)
|404mm (W) x 92mm (H) x 346mm (D)
Rack Mount: 399mm (W) x 87.5mm (H) x 346mm (D)